Wednesday 30 May 2012

Food & Exercise Analysis

Week day - 19.April.2012









Week end - 22.April.2012










1. Nutrients (including fats) from the nutrients pie chart on FitDay
 : During the week day, I consumed 53% of fat and 238 of carbohydrate. Among the fat, 16% of saturated fat which is normal level since I don't eat fat that much, but not less. Also, 68% of protein and 0% of alcohol, which means I don't drink alcohol at all.
During the week end, I consumed 58% fat, 189% of carbohydrate and about 100% of protein. Compare to week day, I consumed less carbohydrate, but more fat and protein.
And as usual, never drink alcohol.

3. Identify three nutrients that you consumed close to 100% of RDA
: On week day, Vitamin B-6, Iron and Copper is the three nutrients that I consumed the most closest to 100% of RDA.
On the other hand, on week end, I consumed Vitamin B-6, Iron and Phosphate. So, I always consumed Vitamin B-6 and Iron almost everyday which are close to 100% RDA. And I consumed much more Phosphate on weekend than weekday.

4. Identify three nutrients that you either over-consumed (far above 100%) or under consumed (very low) irregularities you might have (too high or too low)


: During weekday, I consumed too much of Carbohydrate(183%) and Selenium(184%) but I consumed very less of Vitamin D(15%).
During weekend, I consumed too much of Selenium(400%), Thiamine(304%) and Cooper(410%). They are very very high than others, especially I consumed more than twice of Selenium than weekday. 

5. Use the internet to research what the nutrients in #3 and #4 and identify the following:
  
a. What the nutrient does for the body (what is its function?)

  • Vitamin B-6: helps the body break down protein from food and also helps nervous systems send messages to and from the brain.
  • Iron: makes the oxygen-carrying proteins hemoglobin, also helps to promote cell growth and plays a role in determining a cell's specific function.
  • Cooper: helps maintain healthy bones and connective tissue while also creating a protective layer for your nerves.
  • Phosphorus: is needed for bone and tooth formation, cell growth, heart muscle contraction and kidney function.
  • Carbohydrate: gives energy to all the cells in our body and produces glucose which gives you that quick spurts of energy.
  • Selenium: make special proteins called antioxidant enzymes and protect body after                    vaccination 
  • Vitamin D: helps the body absorbs calcium.
  • Thiamine:helps the body's cells convert carbohydrates into energy.
b. What foods you can find the nutrient in?
  • Vitamin B-6: potatoes, bananas, beans, seeds, nuts, fish, eggs, spinach and fortified cereals.
  • Iron: soybean, mint, broccoli, raisins, fish.
  • Cooper: mollusks, beef, veal and beans.
  • Phosphorus: milk products, hare cheese, eggs, nuts, garlic, red meat and chicken.
  • Carbohydrate: cereals, crackers, rice cakes, potato, flour.
  • Selenium: vegetables, meat, fish, eggs and chicken.
  • Vitamin D: dairy products, fatty fish and oyster.
  • Thiamine: dried milks, eggs, nuts and peas.
c. What are the long-term concerns of over or under consumption of this nutrient
  • Vitamin B-6: causes allergic reactions, blood clots and itching.
  • Iron: causes Anemia which is under consumption.
  • Cooper: if you consume lack amount of it, it develops copper deficiency which is not good for our bones because they may start to deteriorate.
  • Phosphorus: if you have too much, the body will pull calcium away from the bones, the this causes bone density or mass.
  • Carbohydrate: causes diabetes due to overproduction of insulin.
  • Selenium: abnormality of the heart muscles.
  • Vitamin D: causes high blood calcium and leads to damage of kidneys.
  • Thiamine: if it is lack, it leads to a disease called beriberi and damages brain.
d. What adjustments, if any, you will need to make to your diet in order to reach a health point of consumption for this nutrient

: I think I should consume more Vitamin D, which are dairy products and fish, and should less to eat Selenium, Thiamine and Copper. I consumed them too much, even until more than 400% of RDA. That was really unbalanced with other nutrition. So, to reach of my point of diet, I should not eat a lot of them, and try to not over consume them.

6. Identify long term concerns that you will need to be aware of (e.g. a high fat diet would result in higher risk of heart attack) and how you might alter your lifestyle and choices to be more healthy in the future.
8. In your analysis identify ways that your exercise and diet might affect you in the future. In particular, what "health concerns" do you have for your future? What changes would you have to make in your lifestyle to become more healthy? How easy/difficult would these changes be for you and why?


: By looking at my graph, my long term concern is obesity. Since I eat too much and don't exercise that much. Eventually, I gained my weight and it is getting increased. So someday, I will be really fatter, to be obese. Obesity can cause many other diseases such as diabetes and high blood pressure and it usually depends on how much do I consume carbohydrate. But sometimes, I consume too much carbohydrate and don't exercise at all, so it can leads the problem. To prevent them, I should exercise more,like at least an hour per day until it is enough to balance my calories consumed such as running and jumping ropes. And try to not eat too much of sugar and carbohydrates, balance with other food around 100% of RDA. However, it is hard to me to less consume the carbohydrate because I really like to eat rice, cereals and bread which makes high calories. But I should try my best to reduce them to keep my body be healthy and try to eat more under consumed food. Then my life would be more healthy in the future. 

9. Finally, identify any problem areas that you felt might have given a not-so-good idea of your actual diet and exercise patterns. What there a problem with the program's database in terms of information input? Was the diet and exercise indicative of your normal weekday lifestyle choices? Note any problems in your blog.


: To me , I think not-so-good idea of my actual diet and exercise patter is I sometimes exercise and sometimes do not. So it can't be balanced since I usually more exercise on weekends because I don't have enough time to exercise to do my school and tuition works. But I felt at least 30 -60 mins, I have to exercise to not be obese and be more healthy even on weekdays so make it becomes my habit everyday.  However, I think this data bases is not really accurate because this is based on American food, but I usually eat Korean food so it may not really right. Still, I could fine out the general food pattern in my life and what I have to work on for ever is reducing my calories. I will keep try to balance the nutrition and avoid the high calories food.

No comments:

Post a Comment